Monday, July 13, 2009

Pinewood Derby

A few months back Kasey had his first Pinewood Derby!! We had just moved into the neighborhood so we didn't get his piece of wood until the night before! He drew the outline on the wood, of the car style he wanted. He carved a few pieces and then Jeff took it to work with him to work on it.

Then.....Kasey found a wounded bird!! His focus quickly changed from needing his car for scouts to getting this bird some help. After he finally caught the bird in a bucket, he wanted to take it to the animal hospital. My mom was quite enamored by his concern for the bird, so she helped him find the number to Animal Control. Kasey dialed the number..



Kasey: I found a bird that has a broken leg....what can I do to help it?
Guy on phone: Fry it up and eat it!
Kasey:..........(handing the phone to grandma) here Grandma you talk to him.
Grandma: (to guy on phone) you cannot talk to a 10 year old like that!!
Guy on Phone: I am sorry, we just get a lot of prank calls around here.
Grandma: Well, my grandson really does have a hurt bird and would like to get it help.
Guy on Phone: Yes we can help it just have him bring it down here.


So...as they were leaving I came home and reminded him about his pinewood derby! He was quite frustrated. I think he felt like that was the hardest decision of his life!

Pinewood Derby........or Saving a Bird??

After I convinced him that maybe the bird would make it through the night in the bucket and we could take it the next day...we had ONE HOUR to finish the unpainted, unweighted and wheel-less car!! Thank Goodness for GRANDPA!!!!!!

With Jeff at work and unable to help...Grandpa Low took on the challenge!!

To be completely honest....I thoroughly enjoyed watching Kasey and my dad work on his car. It was very tear jerking actually!! It was an awesome experience and Kasey was so happy to do a project with Grandpa!



Although his Gold car did not win the fastest car race, it did win the slowest car that made it to the finish line race!! Next year....we have requested at least two days notice....ha ha!!

FYI.......the bird.......ummm...well...no proof but quite likely that.....



I'm thinkin' Chaser (My parents lion) had something to do with it!!

No comments: